A fantastic result for DC United, not just the scoreline, but the fact that it was on the road, against a team we’ve not played yet in MLS, add in the recent form, this was a result that we so badly needed. The game got off to a sluggish start, as it seems to happen with DC recently, but we had plenty of efforts in the first 20mins, 4 to 0, however Cincy had more of the ball, 55% to be exact. It took a while for us to get the 1st goal in, 43rd minute, and for me, that’s a great time to score, leaves very little time for the opposition to get back into the game and leaves them at HT thinking what could have been. The goal itself was fantastic. Just take a look at the video below.
2nd half was a much more entertaining 45 minutes. 4 goals in total, and each goal in the game was a “talking point”. The next goal was one for Cincy, a penalty given for a “handball” by Arriola. Now, correct me if I’m wrong, but the rules now state if it hit’s your arm/hand, and you aren’t making yourself bigger, then it’s not a handball. Unfortunately I can’t find the video to embed here, but have a look on the MLS app and you’ll see. Even the commentators were saying it wasn’t a pen. Another frustrating and game-changing decision. Ledesma popped up and slotted in the bottom corner, even that was a talking point, stopping mid-way through his run up.
That tie was short-lived, Titi Rodriguez getting his brace just two minutes later. Here is yet another great goal! 3 fantastic so far from Titi.
Then it became a bit of a landslide, the Cincy defence just crumbled away. The 64th minute brought Rooney’s 11th goal of the season, and another goal from open play.
What they failed to show in that video is the unbelievable ball from Jara. A great cross field pass from him to set up Rooney. And then, it’s Arriola’s turn to get in on the act, great run and great finish with his weaker foot.
That was the final goal of the game and it finished 4-1. Great result, and hopefully this will be the point where we kick on and show how good we are at the business end of the season.
- Lucas Rodríguez scored his third and fourth goals of the season in the 42nd and 59th minute.
- Rodríguez recorded his first career brace for the Black-and-Red.
- Wayne Rooney scored his 11th goal of the season in the 64th minute.
- Wayne Rooney recorded his seventh assist of the season in the 42nd minute.
- Paul Arriola scored his fourth goal of the season in the 73rd minute.
- Paul Arriola recorded his second assist of the season in the 59th minute.
- Leonardo Jara recorded his fifth assist of the season in the 64th minute.
- Lucas Rodríguez recorded his third assist of the season in the 73rd minute.
- Donovan Pines made his second consecutive start for the Black-and-Red.
- Chris Seitz made his first MLS start for the Black-and-Red.
- This was the first fixture in MLS history between D.C. United and FC Cincinnati.
- The Black-and-Red are 1-0-0 against FC Cincinnati all-time in MLS.
- United are 4-3-3 on the road in 2019.
- The Black-and-Red scored four goals on the road for the first time since June 13, 2018; a 4-4 draw against Toronto.
- United recorded their first away win since April 24, 2019; a 1-0 win against Columbus.
Man of the Match
No word on a man of the match from DC, but according to MLSSoccer.com, it was Titi Rodriguez. I would whole-heartedly agree
Next up is Atlanta United at the Mercedes-Benz Stadium this Sunday, and it’s on at 9pm on Sky Sports Football